When I was a wee Ella, one of my favorite holiday treats were those Magic Bars. You know the ones with the graham cracker butter crust, condensed milk, coconut, chocolate and nuts? Yes, those.
They’re still one of my favorites, but now I make them a little differently. (As I am wont to do because I like things to be different so I change up the ingredients.) Sometimes I use toffee, sometimes cranberries and white chocolate, sometimes dried cherries and dark chocolate. You never know what I’m going to toss on them!
I haven’t tried this particular combo, but I do love Craisins and Pistachios so I decided to give it a whirl. If you try it and hate it, so sorry. I’m anticipating this to be delicious.
- 8 or 9 inch round pan (I used a foil disposable one)
- Sleeve of graham crackers crushed up
- 1/2 cup of butter – melted (one stick)
- can of sweetened condensed milk (I used about half of it, you can fix having left overs by making two of them if you’d like, just double everything else…or make two different ones!)
- 1 cup plus a small handful of shelled pistachios
- 1 cup plus a small handful of craisins
- 1 cup plus a small handful of coconut
- 1 cup plus a small handful of dark chocolate chips (I used mini ones)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Melt butter in microwave safe dish big enough to mix crushed graham cracker into too.
- Use the butter paper to grease the inside of the pan. If you don’t have enough on the paper, use your non-stick spray I’m fairly certain you have or use a little more butter.
- If you haven’t already, put sleeve of graham crackers in zip lock freezer bag and smash them up.
- Mix crumbs into melted butter and press them into the pan for the crust.
- Drizzle a little of the condensed milk around the top of the crust and use the back of a spoon to spread it around.(NOTE: When drizzling, hold the can of condensed milk up high and pour slowly so it doesn’t GLOB onto the surface.)
- Use about half a cup of each of the pistachios, craisins, mini chips, and coconut and layer them on the condensed milk. Press them down so they stick.
- Drizzle another layer of condensed milk and use the back of a spoon to spread it around a little.
- Use other half cup of pistachios, craisins, mini chips, and coconut and layer them on the condensed milk. Press them down so they stick.
- Then you want to drizzle a little more of the condensed milk on and toss a the handful of each on top.
- Cover with foil and put in the oven for about 25-30 min. I like to check after 20 or so to keep an eye on it.
- It’s done when the coconut is browned and it doesn’t look soupy.
Here is the crust:
Here’s what the first layer looks like:
And with both layers and final toppings:
I wish you luck. What would you put on these bars if you didn’t want (or have on hand) crasins and pistachios?